The mission of the Washington Education Association is to advance the professional interests of its members in order to make public education the best it can be for students, staff, and communities.
Our goal is to build confidence in public education and increase support for Washington's public school system.
Our objectives are to:
- Increase WEA members' professional status and job satisfaction.
- Improve the quality of and access to public education for all students.
- Forge partnerships with parents, business, other unions, and community groups.
WEA members believe in:
- Public education as the cornerstone of a strong democratic society
- The fundamental right of all students to have access to the best possible public education
- Life-long learning
- Individual and organizational integrity
- Respect for diversity
- High professional standards for members
- Personal and professional growth
- Continuous improvement in the quality of public education
- Fair treatment for all people, including the right to due process and representation
- Shared decision making and shared accountability with the community for the quality of public education
- Academic freedom
- Safe learning and working environment
- Shared decision making and accountability for all constituencies within the WEA
- High expectations and performance standards for all students
Adopted by the 1994 WEA Representative Assembly; amended by the 2004 WEA Representative Assembly